How do you setup your own website?
Follow these steps to set up your own website:
1. Find a good domain name. The first step towards setting up your own website is to obtain a good domain name. It can be rather difficult to locate the domain name that you want. You will most likely find that many domain names that apply to your industry are already taken. But a good domain name is not always your company name or a common word. You should also consider a domain name that uses keywords that are commonly searched for on the internet. Search engines pay special attention to domain names in relation to popular keywords used for searches on the internet. I recommend using Overture Keyword Selector Tool.
2. Find out if the domain name you are interested in obtaining is available. I find that using the search interface on ItsYourDomain is the best way to find out if a domain name is available. On, ItsYourDomain, you can enter the domain name without hitting Go and the website will search for matching domain names using .com, .net, .org, etc. This makes the process of locating the domain name you want go by much faster than submitting a form request for each domain name.
3. Register your new domain name. Once you have found a domain name to your liking, it’s time to register it. I find that Yahoo! Domains offers one of the lowest costs for registering a domain name. At the present time, it’s $2.99 a year to register a domain. Many other websites offer this service at $12 and up.
4. Find a professional web hosting company to host your website. There are a myriad of web hosting companies out there on the internet. Depending upon your application, you may have specific requirements. There are a variety of items to keep in mind when selecting a web hosting company.
* Experienced and professional web hosting company. You want to select a web hosting company that is truly experienced in web hosting. To simply host websites is not complex, but to do it professionally and in a complete manner can be very challenging. EmaxHosting are experienced and professional. Additionally, they support programming languages such as PHP and Perl.
* Large amount of storage space and bandwidth. Although web pages are very small in size, it is best to go with a hosting package that offers an excessive amount of storage space and bandwidth. EmaxHosting provides 1 gig of storage and 80 gig of bandwidth in their Budget hosting plan. This is a huge amount for any starter website.
* Charges for excess bandwidth. It is very common for web hosting companies to charge for bandwidth that exceeds the hosting plan you are on. However, you can still locate web hosting companies such as EmaxHosting that charge a flat rate each month and do not charge you for excess bandwidth. This way, you don’t have to worry about getting hit with a high bill due to increased traffic on your website. Once your website is using more bandwidth, you can simply upgrade to the next higher hosting package. It is not uncommon for some websites to drop off the internet because they have suddenly been hit with a large bill for excess bandwidth.
* Supports internet standards. There is a variety of software available for free on the internet that requires certain features be installed by your webhost. The ideal web hosting company has preinstalled these features for your use. Examples of these features are Cpanel, Perl, MySQL, PHP, the use of a personal CGI-BIN, CRON job modification, Fantastico scripts, SENDMAIL, etc. EmaxHosting provides for all this in their hosting packages.
* Streaming Audio and Video. It can be very expensive to provide streaming audio and video. Many companies such as PlayStream are in the business of streaming audio and video for websites. At EmaxHosting, streaming audio and video is included in the cost of your hosting package. For detailed information regarding hosting packages at EmaxHosting, visit http://www.emaxhosting.com/shared.html
5. Purchase a web template to give your website a professional look. A variety of templates are available from Template Monster.
6. Consider using stock photgraphy to spice things up a bit. You can download stock photography for $1 to $2 from BigStockPhoto.
7. Need to sell your products online? There are two options. One is through your own website which gives you more functionality and capabilities such as those listed in Step 4. The other is through a site such as Ebay. With an Ebay Store, you will not have to spend as much time to market your products online. This is because Ebay already has the traffic of visitors on the internet looking to purchase items. However, options such as streaming audio and other functionality is limited. If you prefer to sell from your own website, I would suggest setting up a Paypal grocery cart.
8. Do you want to design your site as well? If you simply don’t want to mess with graphics and programming then you will want to work with an experienced web designer. The staff at Smartnetadmin.com would be happy to provide you with this service. However if you would like to do your own web design, you will most likely want to purchase Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Photoshop and other products. I would recommend checking out AtomicPark for these kinds of purchases. Or you can search Cnet Shopper.
9. Now, it’s time to market your website. The last step and one of the most important is to market your website.